题号 PartⅠ PartⅡ PartⅢ PartⅣ 总分
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Model Test Four
Part I Vocabulary & Structure (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to use words and phrases correctly to construct meaningful and grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
1. How much does it ________ to take the online training course?
A) cost B) give C) pay D) spend
2. If you need more information, please contact us ________ telephone or email.
A) in B) by C) on D) for
3. Mr. Smith used to smoke ________ but he has given it up recently.
A) immediately B) roughly C) heavily D) completely
4. He was speaking so fast ________ we could hardly follow him.
A) what B) as C) but D) that
5. Please call me back ________ you see this message.
A) as well as B) as early as C) as far as D) as soon as
6. We haven’t enough rooms for everyone, so some of you will have to ________ a room.
A) share B) stay C) spare D) live
7. Before ________ for the job, you will be required to take a language test.
A) apply B) applying C) applied D) to apply
8. If you , you’ll have to ________ this form first.
A) put up B) try out C) fill in D) set up
9. ________ the rain stops before 12 o’clock, we will have to cancel the game.
A) As B) Since C) While D) Unless
10. As the price of oil keeps ________, people have to pay more for driving a car.
A) to go up B) going up C) gone up D) go up
Directions: There are also 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
11. What a (wonder) ________ party it was! I of it.
12. The film turned out to be (successful) ________ than we had expected.
13. Readers are not allowed (bring) ________ food and drinks into the Library at any time.
14. The manager has promised that she will deal with the matter (immediate) ________.
15. We are looking forward to (work) ________ with you in the future.
16. Today email has become an important means of (communicate) ________ in daily life.
17. The visitors were (disappoint) ___ to find the museum closed when they rushed there.
18. Because of the (improve) ____ in the road conditions, there have been fewer accidents recently.
19. When you arrive tomorrow, my secretary (meet) ________ you at the airport.
20. John has worked as a sales manager since he (join) ________ this company in 2002.
PartⅡ Reading Comprehension （40 minutes）
Directions: This part is to test your reading ability. There are 5 tasks for you to fulfill. You should read the reading materials carefully and do the tasks as you are instructed.
Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements numbered 21 to 25. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. You should make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Thank you for your interest in Calibre Cassette (盒式录音带) library. This letter tells you about our service. With it we are sending you an application form, so that you can join if you would like to try it. Calibre library aims to provide the pleasure of reading to anyone who cannot read ordinary printed books because of sight problems. We currently have over 7,000 books available for reading for pleasure, including 1,000 specially for children. All our books are recorded cover-to-cover on ordinary cassettes and can be played on any cassette players. They are sent and returned by post, free of charge
When we receive your application, we will send you a book and an information tape. They will explain how to use the service. The easy way to use Calibre library is to tell us what sorts of books you like, and we will keep you supplied with books we think you will enjoy. Or you can send us a list of books you would like to read, and we will then send you books from this list whenever possible. In that case you will need to use our website, or buy one or more of our catalogues (目录).
21. According to the first paragraph, the library sends the application form to the readers so that they can ________.
A) read ordinary books B) order cassette players
C) buy Calibre cassettes D) use the library service
22. Calibre library provides service mainly for people who suffer from ________.
A) hearing difficulties B) mental illnesses
C) sight problems D) heart troubles
23. The service of sending and returning books by post is ________.
A) not available to children B) paid by the users
C) free of charge D) not provided
24. The easy way to use the library service is to ________.
A) inform the library of your name and address
B) tell the library the sorts of books you like
C) buy the catalogues of the library
D) ask the library to buy the books
25. The main purpose of this letter is to ________.
A) introduce the library’s service to readers
B) recommend new books to the readers
C) send a few catalogues to readers
D) express thanks to the readers
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 questions or unfinished statements are numbered 26 to 30.
People in some countries cannot use their native language for Web addresses. Neither can Chinese speakers, who have to rely on pinyin. But last Friday, ICANN, the Web’s governing body, approved the use of up to 16 languages for the new system. More will follow in the coming years.
The Internet is about to start using the 16 languages of the world. People will soon be able to use addresses in characters (字符) other than those of the Roman alphabet (字母表). The change will also allow the suffix (后缀) to be expressed in 16 other alphabets, including traditional and simplified Chinese characters.
But there are still some problems to work out. Experts have discussed what to do with characters that have several different meanings. This is particularly true of Chinese.
Most experts doubt the change will have a major effect on how the Internet is used. “There will be some competition between companies to obtain popular words for addresses.”
26. For Web addresses, Chinese speakers now have to use ________.
A) pinyin B) signs C) numbers D) characters
27. The approval of the use of 16 languages by ICANN will allow web users to ________.
A) change their email address
B) email their messages in characters
C) have the chance to learn other languages
D) use addresses in their own language
28. The new system will allow the suffix of a Web address to be expressed by ________.
A) any native language
B) figures and numbers
C) Chinese characters
D) symbols and signs
29. Which of the following is one of the problems in using the new system?
A) Certain characters have several different meanings.
B) Chinese is a truly difficult language to learn.
C) People find it difficult to type their address in characters.
D) Some experts think it is impossible to use Chinese characters.
30. Many experts do not believe that ________.
A) there are still some problems to work out
B) there will be competition to get popular addresses
C) companies are willing to change their web addresses
D) the change will affect the use of the Internet greatly
Directions: The following is an advertisement. After reading it, you should complete the information by filling in the blanks marked 31 to 35 (in no more than 3 words) in the table below.
Hard Work, Good Money
Staff (员工) to work in a busy operations center.
You to be working in Hangzhou.
A rapidly expanding international IT company.
Based in the UK and USA, with 500 employees worldwide.
We want to:
Recruit (招聘) staff for our office in Hangzhou.
Recruit 30 staff members in the first year.
You should be:
A college graduate, majoring in Computer Science;
Flexible, efficient, active;
Willing to work in Hangzhou;
Able to work unusual hours, e.g. 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.
You should have:
Good basic English language skills, holding Level-A Certificate of Practical
English Test for Colleges (PRETCO).
Way to contact us:
For more details about the job, please visit our website:
A Job Advertisement
Recruitment: staff to work in an operations center
Work place: 31
Education: college graduate majoring in 32
Foreign language: English, with Level-A Certificate of PRETCO
Personal qualities: flexible, 33 , active
Working hours: 34 , e.g. 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.
Way to get details about the job: visit the website: 35
Directions: The following is a list of terms related to employment. After reading it, you are required to find the items equivalent to (与…等同) those given in Chinese in the table below. Then you should put the corresponding letters in the brackets on the Answer Sheet, numbered 36 through 40.
A --------------- annual bonus
B --------------- basic salary
C --------------- benefit
D --------------- commission
E --------------- head hunter
F --------------- health insurance
G --------------- housing fund
H --------------- job center
I --------------- job fair
J --------------- job offer
K --------------- labor market
L --------------- labor contract
M --------------- minimum wage
N --------------- retirement insurance
O --------------- trial period
P --------------- unemployment insurance
Q --------------- welfare
Examples: (A) 年终奖 (O) 试用期
36. ( ) 招聘会 ( ) 最低工资
37. ( ) 劳动合同 ( ) 福利
38. ( ) 养老保险 ( ) 住房基金
39. ( ) 猎头 ( ) 基本工资
40. ( ) 劳务市场 ( ) 失业保险
Directions: Here are two letters. After reading them, you are required to complete the answers that follow the questions (No.41 to No.45). You should write your answers (in no more than 3 words) on the Answer Sheet correspondingly.
December 1, 2009
Dear Mr. John Campbell,
We have received your letter of November 20, 2009 about your latest model of mountain bikes, in which we are very much interested. We believe that they will sell well here in the U.S.A. Please send us further details of your prices and terms of sales. Your favorable quotation (报价) will be appreciated. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
December 4, 2009
Dear Mr. Robert Loftus,
Thank you for your letter of December 1st inquiring about our latest model of mountain bikes. We are pleased to send you the catalogue (产品目录) and price list you asked for. You will find our quotation reasonable with attractive terms of sales. We are looking forward to receiving your order at the earliest time.
Very truly yours,
41. What product is inquired about in the first letter?
The latest model of ___________________________________.
42. What information of the product does Mr. Robert Loftus ask for?
Further details of the prices and _________________________.
43. What is enclosed with the second letter?
The catalogue and ____________________________________.
44. Who writes the second letter?
John Campbell, ________________________________ manager.
45. What does Mr. John Campbell say about the quotation of the product?
He says it is __________________ with attractive terms of sales.
PartⅢ Translation -- English into Chinese (25 minutes)
Directions: This part, numbered 46 to 49, is to test your ability to translate English into Chinese. Each of the four sentences (No.46 to No.49) is followed by four choices of suggested translation marked A), B), C) and D). Make the best choice and write the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet. Write your translation of the paragraph (No.50) in the corresponding space on the Translation/Composition Sheet.
46. Not until this week were they aware of the problems with the air-conditioning units in the hotel rooms.
47. We sent an e-mail to your Sales Department a week ago asking about the goods we had ordered.
48. Candidates applying for this job are at using a computer and good at spoken English.
49. It is widely accepted that the cultural industry has been one of the key industries in developed countries.
50. Journalist Wanted (招聘记者)
Student Newspaper is looking for a journalist. Applicants (申请人) should be studying at the university now, and should have at least one year’s experience in writing news reports. The successful applicant will be expected to report on the happenings in the city and on campus. If you are interested, please send your application to the Student Newspaper office before the end of June. For more information, please visit our website.
Part IV Writing (25 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write an Invitation Letter based on the following information given in Chinese. Remember to do your writing on the Translation/ Composition Sheet.
邀请人：UST 电子公司总经理 Mike Kennedy
Words for reference
电子公司Electronics Corporation 三十周年 30th anniversary
庆祝晚宴 dinner party 假日酒店 Holiday Inn来源: