题号 PartⅠ PartⅡ PartⅢ PartⅣ 总分
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Model Test Four
Part Ⅰ Structure (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to construct grammatically correct sentences. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: In this section, there are 10 incomplete sentences. You are required to complete each one by deciding on the most appropriate word or words from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
1. By the end of this year Mr. Smith __________ in our company for exactly three years.
A) is working B) has worked C) will work D) will have worked
2. I think that the Great Wall is worth __________ hundreds of' miles to visit.
A) to travel B) traveling C) traveled D) travel
3. The new staff didn't know how to use the system __________ I explained it to him yesterday.
A) until B) because C) if D) since
4. _______ is reported in the newspapers that the talks between the two companies have not made any progress.
A) That B) What C) It D) As
5. __________by the failure of the project, the manager could hardly say a word.
A) To be shocked B) Shocked C) Be shocked D) Shocking
6. The first question we now discuss is __________ we should go there so early tomorrow.
A) whether B) where C) what D) whom
7. He was attending a meeting, ____________ he would have come to your party yesterday.
A) unless B) when C) but D) or
8. Enclosed you __________ an application form that you are asked to fill out.
A) will find B) find C) found D) are finding
9. The auto industry spends large amounts of money on marketing campaigns _________young adult customers.
A) attract B) attracted C) to attract D) attracts
10. The advertising company recently hired a designer __________had once won a prize in a national contest.
A) whose B) which C) whom D) who
Directions: There are 10 incomplete statements here. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the word given in brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
11. Your daughter is (luck) __________ enough to have been admitted to this large company.
12. After an (introduce) ___________ by the chairperson, we'll go on with the day's discussion.
13. We must keep the manager (inform) ___________ of the advertising campaign.
14. It is suggested that the president of the Union (make) __________ a speech on behalf of all the workers.
15. Having been badly damaged by the earthquake, the city has to be (rebuild) __________.
16. She described the ancient city in detail because she (live) __________ there for years.
17. The new university graduate is confident of (win) __________ the post as the assistant to the managing director.
18. Successful companies concentrate (much) __________ on selling their products to their existing customers than to their new ones.
19. The local economy depends (heavy) __________ on the exports of manufactured goods.
20. With such a short time (leave) ________, it's impossible for us to finish this complicated experiment.
PartⅡ Reading Comprehension (40 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test, your reading ability. There are 5 tasks for you to fulfill. You should read the reading materials carefully and do the tasks as you are instructed.
Directions: After reading the following passage, you will find 5 questions or unfinished statements, numbered 21 to 25. For each question or statement there are 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). You should make the correct choice and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
An ebook ( also referred to as an electronic book, eBook, or e-book) is a digital version (版本) of a print book that you download and read. But if you want to read an ebook, you must have an Ebook Reader, which is a kind of free software used by your computer. Make sure you have installed the appropriate Reader before you download your ebook from the Internet. The software allows you to turn the words on the screen into the size you like. It also helps you turn pages and change your viewing options (计算机屏幕上的阅读选择). Ebooks are a fun alternative to regular books. You can download them to any computers and create your own library of hundreds of titles. If you load them onto your portable computer, you can take them with you when you travel. Some ebooks are even interactive! Best of all, when you order an ebook, their is no waiting and no shipping charges. The amount of time it takes to download your ebook depends on the speed of your connection and the size of your ebook.
21. From this passage, we learn that an ebook__________.
A) can be found in any library
B) can be read directly from the Internet
C) can be read by any one who has a computer
D) can be read when special software is installed
22. The Ebook Reader is used for __________.
A) reading an ebook you've downloaded
B) turning a print book into a digital version
C) downloading an ebook from the Internet
D) copying an ebook onto a portable computer
23. From this passage, we can learn that __________.
A) you can read an ebook on a laptop when you travel
B) you can order an ebook using the Ebook Reader
C) the ebooks ordered have to be shipped to you
D) it takes a lot of trouble reading an ebook
24. Which of the following statements is 'TRUE'?
A) An ebook is ordered in the same way as a print book is.
B) The size of the words in an ebook cannot be changed.
C) The downloading time is decided by the ebook's size.
D) There is less fun reading an ebook than a print book.
25. The passage is mainly about __________.
A) a better way to download an Ebook
B) a new kind of book - the Ebooks
C) the new version of Ebooks
D) the fun of reading Ebooks
Directions: This task is the same as Task 1. The 5 question or unfinished statements are numbered
26 to 30.
Passengers and their baggage must be checked in at least 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 60 minutes for international flights. Government-issued photo identification is required for all passengers. Passengers traveling across any international boundary(边界) are responsible for obtaining all necessary travel documents. Passengers may be denied boarding if travel documents are not in order. When check-in requirements are not met, a passenger may be separated from his/her bag. Frontier Airlines will gladly hold the bag in the destination baggage service office for pick-up at the passenger's convenience. Passengers must be at the gate 20 minutes before departure for boarding.
Free Baggage Allowance for Each Ticketed Passenger
Frontier Airlines, Inc. will accept, per ticketed passenger, two free checked bags not to exceed 62 inches and 50 pounds per piece — one carry-on bag and one personal item (purse, laptop, etc.).
NOTE: A ticketed passenger may check one carry-on bag if it is within established limitations. All carryon items must be put under a passenger seat or in a shared overhead compartment(行李舱). .
Excessive(超重) Baggage Charges
An excess charge will be made for each piece of baggage over the free allowance and for each piece of over-sized or over-weight baggage.
26. An international flight passenger should check in at least __________.
A) 20 minutes before departure B) 30 minutes before departure
C) 45 minutes before departure D) 60 minutes before departure
27. What is required of all domestic and international passengers for check-in?
A) An invitation letter. B) A company's job offer.
C) An official photo identification． D) An official immigration permit.
28. How much baggage is a ticketed passenger allowed free of charge?
A) One piece. B) Two pieces.
C) Three pieces. D) Four pieces.
29. What will passengers have to do if their baggage is over the free allowance?
A) To pay extra money. B) To carry it themselves
C) To ask for special permit. D) To drop the excessive item.
30. This passage is probably taken from __________.
A) an advertisement of an airline B) a notice for airline passengers
C) a schedule of an international flight D) an introduction to an airline company
Directions: The following is an advertisement. After reading it, you are required to complete the outline below it (No. 31 to No. 35). You should write your answers briefly (in no more than three words) on the Answer Sheet correspondingly.
Sakura Scholarships offer students the opportunity of taking part in a three-month Japanese language course in the city of Kyoto. The scholarship covers free accommodation, meals and tuition. Return air fares between their country of residence and Osaka are paid, and $ 1000 pocket money is also provided.
To apply for one of these Scholarships, you should write a letter of about 300 words, describing your own educational career so far, and giving reasons why you think your education would benefit from participation in the Sakura Scholarship Scheme.
The closing date for application is February l,2009. Applicants who have been selected for the short list(入选名单) will receive the notice by March 31. The final selection will be made on the basis of interviews held during May.
Applications are open to all students, regardless of age, sex or nationality, and are also open to people who are not currently full-time students.
Please apply to Ms. Kyoto Matsumoto, Sakura Scholarship Scheme, Sakura Trading Co, 200 East Avenue, London E97PS.
Course offered: Japanese language
1. accommodation, meals and 31
2. 32 air fares
3. $ 1,000 33
Content of application letter:
1. describing the applicant's 34 so far
2. giving reasons for taking the course
Deadline for application: 35
Directions: The following is a list used in a factory. After reading it, you are required to find the items equivalent to (与......等同) those given in Chinese in the table below. Then you should put the corresponding letters in the brackets on the Answer Sheet, numbered 36 through 40.
A ── assembly line J ── safety boots
B ── packer K ── shipping clerk
C ── forklift L ── time card
D ── explosive materials M ── warehouse
E ── fire extinguisher N ── hard hat
F —— loading dock O ── earplug
G ── machine operator P ── hand truck
H ── electrical hazard Q ── safety earmuffs
I ── conveyor belt
36.( )易爆材料 ( )安全耳罩
37.( )工时卡 ( )安全靴
38.( )装配线 ( )灭火器
39.( )安全帽 ( )手推车
40.( )机器操作员 ( )输送带
Directions: The following is an application letter. After reading it, you should give brief answers to the 5 questions (No. 41 to No. 45) that follow. The answers (in no more than 3 words) should be written after the corresponding numbers on the Answer Sheet.
Dear Ms. Pascal,
I would appreciate very much an opportunity to meet with you and demonstrate how my unique experience and education could be of particular advantage to your company's future growth.
My practice last summer at Pascal Business Systems helped me focus on my academic and career goals. My fourteen weeks with your company involved me in a whole variety of sales support activities including preparing brochures and catalogs, coordinating trade shows, providing data and information to salespeople in the field, and interacting with customers.
During the past two semesters I have concentrated on developing my electronic publishing and business communication skills. I am confident that I can improve the ways in which Pascal Business Systems provides support for field marketing representatives. This would include designing and maintaining an online catalog which could be coordinated with current inventories(库存清单).
I am available for an interview at your convenience and look forward to an opportunity to discuss ways to improve operations and communications with field locations and sales. Thank you for your kind consideration.
41. How long did Lourdes Santiago work at Pascal Business Systems?
42. What activities was he involved in when he had his practice in the company?
A whole variety of ______________________________________________
43. What special skills did Lourdes Santiago develop during the past two semesters?
He developed electronic publishing and ______________________________
44. What could he do to help support the field marketing representatives?
By designing and maintaining _____________________________________
45. What is the purpose of the letter?
Lourdes Santiago writes the letter to ask for ____________________________
PartⅢ Translation--English into Chinese (25 minutes)
Directions: This part，numbered 46 through 49，is to test your ability to translate English into Chinese. After each of the sentences numbered 46 to 49, you will read four choices of suggested translation. You should choose the best translation and mark the corresponding letter on your Answer Sheet. And for the paragraph numbered 50, write your translation in the corresponding space on the Translation/ Composition Sheet.
46. For your safety, the electrical appliance can only operate when it has been correctly mounted on a dry and cool base.
47. Not only does asking questions at a meeting involve you in discussions, it is also a good way to demonstrate your professional knowledge.
48. People feel that the interdependence of nations, so long talked about by statesmen, is today more than ever a reality.
49. The purchaser will not be responsible for any cost or expenses in connection with the packing or delivery of the above goods.
50. The city government recognizes that citizens have certain new needs. To better meet your needs, we have made several changes in community facilities in 2009. Three stations for the suburbs have been added to the western train service. Broadband（宽带）cable is now available to all parts of the city. 5,000 new books were bought for the City Library. Some new facilities at the city hospitals have been installed. Next year, we will try our best to make your life even better.
PartⅣ Writing (25 minutes)
Directions: This part is to do test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a business letter according to the following information given in Chinese. Remember to do the task on the Translation/Composition Sheet.
Words for reference: